SHOTLEY GROVE HOUSE
Shotley Grove House is a Grade II listed property on the outskirts of Shotley Bridge. Built for John Annandale, owner of a large paper mill in the town, circa 1826 the house remains in excellent condition, displaying many of the features of its original design.
Our design proposal sought to make productive use of now redundant out-house buildings such as a coal shed which no longer retained a function. Contrasting with the formally presented and proportioned primary ashlar stone elevations, the rear of the property expressed a characteristic tumbledown composition of roofs and walls in varied materials.
Conceptually our design envisaged a carefully crafted timber box slotted into a rear courtyard to tie together disparate spaces. This simple volume was then sub-divided with planes to create a small orangery opening off the living spaces as well as a new bedroom and a narrow patio.
The materiality intended to strike a balance between its historic context and the need to articulate the extension as a new element temporally and spatially distinct. The use of timber as a lightweight element in contrast to the original stonework evokes the tradition of extended verandahs, pergolas, and greenhouses to be found on such historic properties. The choice of a heritage blue with copper roof and flashings – intended to weather to its distinctive teal – was made to further emphasise the singular nature of the rectilinear volume.
2018 – 2019